Your profile photo on LinkedIn is very important. Did you know that profiles with photos attract 21 times more views and 36 times more messages than profiles without photos? With the “new look” LinkedIn, the thumbnail photo is smaller, so be sure to choose your photo carefully.
Here are some tips for your LinkedIn photo:
- Don’t use an old photo. There are few things worse than meeting someone for the first time and not recognizing them because the profile on their LinkedIn profile is from several years ago.
- Use a photo of yourself in your profile — don’t use a photo of an object.
- With the “new look” LinkedIn, your photo should include your head and shoulders, not just a close-up of your face. But because the photo is smaller, a full-body photo is not necessary.
- Smile! Radiate warmth and approachability in your photo.
- Photos should be professionally done, if possible (but not Glamour Shots).
- Wear your most complementary color. Bright colors can attract attention, but muted (tan or light olive green) or jewel tones (dark green, navy, or burgundy) will draw attention to you, not your clothes. Above all, avoid patterns.
- Don’t include other people in your photos (and don’t crop other people out of your shot — there should not be any errant body parts in your LinkedIn photo!).
- Make sure the background in the photo isn’t distracting. Plain backgrounds are better.
- Look directly at the camera.
- Take multiple shots and ask people their opinion on which one makes you seem most “approachable.” Consider using a website like photofeeler.com to choose your photo.
- Tips for Men: Wear a dark blue or black dress shirt. No t-shirts or Hawaiian shirts. No busy or crazy patterns.
- Tips for Women: Wear something you feel comfortable in. No t-shirts. No big or busy patterns. Soft, dark v-necks look great. Black always works; avoid white. Long sleeves are best so you’re not drawing attention to your bare arms — instead, you want them to notice your face. (Bare arms also appear “bigger.”) If possible, your hair and makeup should be professionally done.