Situation: Asking For a Full-Time Position to Go Part-Time
Use this script to request to work part-time in a role you previously did full-time. You may want to go part-time because of health or family concerns or for another reason. Your employer may be willing to consider this to keep a good employee.
- One of the most important considerations is to frame this as a benefit to the employer, not just as something that will benefit you. You are more likely to get your request approved if you have a specific plan for how you will get your key tasks done in less time and if you have an idea for how the other tasks will get done (shifting some responsibilities to another co-worker, for example, or hiring another part-time person to handle the tasks). Think through the specifics of your plan before asking for a meeting.
- It also helps if you can show cost savings that might result (for example, reducing the cost of health insurance or retirement benefits).
- Try to give at least 2-3 weeks’ notice before you want the change to take place.
Make the Ask:
[Boss name], I wanted to talk with you about the possibility of transitioning to part-time hours for my role. I have a proposal that includes specific plans for how my key responsibilities will get done, a plan for how my other work can be done, and the cost savings that will result.
Can we schedule a time to discuss this?
[Choose a timeframe that works for you and your boss.]
How It Might Sound:
You: Jim, as you know, my new kitchen tool is going to be featured on “Shark Tank” next month, and I’m hoping to transition to part-time hours so I can balance promoting this invention with my work here. I have a proposal that includes specific plans for how I can handle 75% of my work in 25 hours a week. I also have an idea for what to do about the other 25% of my work. The proposal will save you about $18,000 while still getting all my work done.
Boss: I’d be willing to discuss that. Obviously, we don’t want to lose you as an employee. When do you want to meet?
You: How about Tuesday afternoon?
Boss: Sure. We can do 2 p.m. Tuesday.
You: Great. Thanks.